My writing is full of music inspired references and quotes. Let’s just say that my future agent better love Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo references. While listening to my latest WIP playlist and being inspired yet again by Taylor Swift’s latest re-recorded single, “This Love,” I thought it would be fun to come up with short music inspired writing prompts based on some of my favorite musicians. I hope some of these prompts inspire you whether you’re a fan of these musicians or not!
Writing Prompts For Swifties:
- Write a messy teenage love triangle inspired by Cardigan/Betty/August.
- Write about a summer love going from good to bad inspired by This Love (Taylor’s Version) or Cruel Summer.
- Write a flawless first kiss scene inspired by Fearless (Taylor’s Version).
- Write about the end of a relationship inspired by All Too Well (10 Minute Version), White Horse (Taylor’s Version) or The Way I Loved You (Taylor’s Version).
- Write about two lovers destined to find each other in multiple lives inspired by Lover.
- Write about the ups and downs of a teenage friendship inspired by Fifteen (Taylor’s Version).
- Write a murder mystery inspired by No Body, No Crime.
- Write about a toxic relationship inspired by Exile or Forever & Always (Taylor’s Version)
Writing Prompts For Directioners:
- Write about a relationship growing complacent and stale inspired by As It Was.
- Write about the early days of a relationship inspired by Falling, Only Angel or Adore You.
- Write a story that has nothing to do with fruit with a title based on a fruit and tie the fruit into the plot inspired by Watermelon Sugar, Kiwi, Cherry.
- Write a friends to lovers story inspired by No Judgement.
- Write a meet cute scene at a bar/club inspired by Nice To Meet Ya, Small Talk or Slow Hands.
- Write about being constantly unlucky in love inspired by Heartbreak Weather.
- Write about a one night stand inspired by Bedroom Floor.
- Write about an adventurous relationship inspired by For You.
- Write about pining after a past love inspired by Miss You.
- Write about getting back together with an ex inspired by Back To You.
- Write about two lovers being torn apart by fate inspired by I Don’t Want To Live Forever.
- Write about a one night stand that turns into a relationship inspired by Pillowtalk.
Writing Prompts For Livvies:
- Write about being stuck in a toxic friendship that never changes inspired by Jealousy, Jealousy, Favorite Crime, or 1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back.
- Write about struggling to get over a breakup inspired by Good 4 U.
- Write about being stuck in a timeloop of bad high school experiences inspired by Brutal.
- Write about being cheated on inspired by Driver’s License, Traitor, or Enough For You.
- Write about reliving a past relationship in a new relationship inspired by Deja Vu.
- Write about being torn by two loves and choosing being single inspired by All I Want.
Writing Prompts For Mendes Army:
- Write about struggling to let go of the idealized version of a relationship that ended When You’re Gone , Perfectly Wrong, or It’ll Be Okay.
- Write an enemies to lovers story inspired by Wonder or Piece Of You.
- Write about falling for the wrong person inspired by Treat You Better or Mercy.
- Write about a relationship with zero inhibitions inspired by There’s Nothin’ Holdin’ Me Back or Fallin’ All In You.
- Write about switching lives with a significant other for a day inspired by Like To Be You.
- Write about a time when battling inner demons felt the world falling apart inspired by In My Blood.
Do you have any songs or artists who inspire your writing? Comment with your WIP playlists.
Reem is a young adult contemporary/romantic comedy author from the Maldives. She has lived in various corners of the world, including New York, Tokyo, California, and Kuala Lumpur throughout her life. She loves writing heartfelt stories filled with love and friendship. She is a 2021 graduate from the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing at The New School.